Don’t Forget to File for Homestead Exemption!
If you became a new homeowner in 2014 you must file for HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION in Alachua County. Any Florida residents who has legal or equitable title to property, occupy the home, and have the intention of making the property their permanent residence as of January 1, 2015 are eligible for homestead exemption.
Homestead Exemption must be filed by the end of February 2015.
REMEMBER THIS: Even if the seller had homestead exemption when you bought that home in 2014, it does NOT “automatically” transfer to you!
YOU must file for this exemption by the end of February 2015.
Our Alachua County Property Appraiser Office has a excellent web site! The physical office address is (NEW ADDRESS 2015)
515 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32601 .
This is the direct link so you can DOWNLOAD the Application for Filing Homestead .
There is also have a great Q & A Section on their site. The county site is full of great information, and here are a couple of great links that will help you get your exemption and learn about our Property Appraiser!
You may also want to review additional exemptions you would qualify for, so check out the County’s site and review this list below!
What other exemptions are available?
- $25000 Senior Homestead Exemption
- $500 Widows/Widowers Exemption
- $500 Disability Exemption
- $500 Exemption for Blind Persons
- $5000 Veteran Disability Exemption
- Service-Connected Total and Permanent Disability Exemption
- Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled Persons
- Exemption for Disabled Veterans Confined to Wheelchairs