Smart Buyers make the Happiest Homeowners! Buying a home is one of the largest investments most people make. Statically, it is one of the top 3 stressful events in anyone’s life. But, don’t let that depress you – be excited about your decision to buy a home. Gather as much information as possible to educate yourself about real estate in Gainesville, and Alachua County. Knowledge is Power!
I give all my buying clients a pamphlet that is titled “10 Deadly Mistakes buyers make when purchasing a Home“. I want all my clients to avoid these 10 Deadly Mistakes. Here is my advice to anyone beginning their search for a home.
- Make a connection with a Realtor that is committed to YOUR needs before, during, and after your home purchase. Use a Buyers’ Agent to represent your interests.
- Shop and Find a Lender. Get Pre-Qualified so you know your “Price Range”. Lenders may qualify you for a price that is higher than what you want to spend in your monthly budget.
- Know the total costs of your purchase. Once you have a lender, and a Price Range, get an estimate of closing costs. This includes lender fees, taxes, homeowner dues, insurance, and pro-rated property taxes.
- Know your Long Term Needs. What you are buying today, will it still be a fit for your life in 5 years? It’s important to think ahead.
- Rely on your Realtor to provide up-to-date information from the MLSin your search for a home. Don’t limit yourself to the Internet or magazines. Your Realtor has immediate access to new listings on the MLS.
- Think of buying a home as a “Process of Elimination”rather than selection of the one and only perfect place. New properties get listed in the MLS everyday. It’s important to me as a Realtor to know the homes my clients didn’t like as much as the one’s they did like.
- Ask important questions before making an offer on a home. What are your concerns? School zone, crime rate, utilities, seller disclosures? Your Realtor will help you be diligent, so you can have confidence in your purchase.
- Understand your options for Insurance coverage. Whether it’s a single family home or a condo, you will want to know what insurance is best for you. Talk to an insurance agent to learn what you will need and provide you with a quote.
- Always get a Home Inspection. A qualified home inspector will detect problems that can’t be seen with a buyer’s eyes. Even new construction homes should have home inspections.
- Get a Home Warranty Plan. Some sellers offer these plans, but even if they don’t- buy one yourself. These plans cover basic repairs for a full year from the day of closing, and can be renewed each year. Your Realtor can provide information on several companies that offer these warranty plans.
This is my motto for my real estate business! For More info visit my web site.
If you or anyone you know is thinking of buying a home in our area, please call me or email me. I am never to busy for your referrals!
Written and Posted By: Chris Bohn, GRI- ABR-ePro– Gainesville FL Real Estate Copyright © 2007
Chris Bohn, RE/MAX Professionals, Inc., is a Florida Realtor® who specializes in Gainesville, FL and communities in Alachua County, FL