This Ain’t a J-O-B
Real Estate: This Ain’t a JOB, it’s a career
Hard working Real Estate Professionals are NOT salaried employees. As a Realtor®, I assume that the public knows how we get paid. But in the last month, I’ve had to explain this to clients – twice. One client was a first time home-buyer and they had no idea about how a real estate agent was paid. But the other clients were not first time buyers. This was probably their 4th or 5th home purchase. They honestly thought that we got weekly paychecks from our boss.
The funniest thing they said was, “well that’s a crazy job you have”. “Why would you want to work, work, work, and never know for sure you’re gonna get paid???” he said. I had to explain that it’s not a J-O-B. It’s my business, and it’s just the way it is.
We had a funny discussion about other “Professions” while viewing homes that day. My client kept joking that an attorney gets money up front and it’s called a retainer. His wife joked and said “Hell the hookers get money up front – before service is rendered”. (And yes, they are under contract for a home.) It was a fun day.
When we think about all the professionals who work to complete any Real Estate transaction – think about how they are paid and when they are paid for their services:
1. Home Inspectors want payment at inspection. – Before it closes.
2. Appraisers are paid at order placement.
3. The bankers/lenders get paid an hourly wage or salary – whether it closes or not.
4. The closing agent has a weekly paycheck. – whether anything closes.
5. Loss Mitigation Employees get a weekly paycheck. – Whether anything closes.
6. The Plumber, Electrician, the Handyman is paid for their work – before closing (most of the time).
7. Termite Inspectors, Mold, or Engineering Inspectors – paid whether it closes or not.
As Realtors®, we have the most skin in the game for each transaction. Finally, when a home is sold, closed and funded do we reap the benefits of our hard work.
Just remember, the public may not know that we don’t punch a time clock.
Our Real Estate services are not a J-O-B. It’s our business and we love it!
Think of this as a Public Service Announcement. Maybe we should have NAR make this a TV Commercial.