Preparations for Hard Freeze in Gainesville FL. I’d like to share what I do to prepare my home and yard for the weatherman’s forecast of a hard freeze in Gainesville FL and Alachua County.
We consider a freeze warning that occurs when we have widespread temperatures at or below 32 °F for 3 hours or more during the growing season. A freeze may occur with or without frost. A hard freeze occurs with temperatures below 28 °F for 3 hours or more.
Here is what I do to prepare:
- Disconnect all hoses from the hose bibs on the home & in the yard.
- Make sure all hoses are open at each end.
- All hose bibs are slightly open allowing a small, constant drip.
- Thoroughly water all beds and potted plants, as the moisture will preserve the heat, and reduce the cold-stress.
- Bring all orchids, ferns, and ultra-sensitive tropical plants inside.
- Cover plants that need frost protection.
- Use cloth for covering materials, not plastic.
- Provide additional heat if needed via outdoor trouble lights or outdoor Christmas light strings. The light-bulbs provide extra protection.