Why You Need a Wind Mitigation Report
Due to current and impending changes to the insurance industry in Florida, homeowners will be faced with higher insurance premiums on their homes in 2021. This is why you may need to get a wind mitigation report. A wind mitigation inspection is done by a licensed contractor or home inspector. The inspector will provide you with a wind mitigation report, and your insurance agent will use this to obtain a discount (hopefully) on your policy. On a standard homeowners insurance policy, a home may qualify for a hurricane/wind premium discount with their insurance carrier.
A wind mitigation inspection could be suggested for homes built prior to 2002. Homes built in 2002 or after were required to meet roofing regulations by building code. Therefore your home may automatically receive wind mitigation credits, but make sure to ask your agent. This inspection typically costs between $85 and $150. The premium discount applied by the insurance company will remain for the life of the home policy.
Wind resistive construction features that are considered when a property is being inspected for wind mitigation credits include:
- Secure roof shingles and roof coverings that meet the Florida Building Code requirements
- Roof decking secured with larger nails or screws closer together
- Hurricane clips/straps that secure the roof to the supporting walls
- Window protection (i.e. shutters, impact resistant glazing, etc.)
- Additional water resistant barriers to prevent leakage in the event that the top layer of roofing is damaged
- Roof geometry or shape of roof
Here are a few details to determine if you need a wind mitigation report.
- 2002 or newer: No wind mitigation needed, credits automatically apply, but verify with your insurance agent!
- 1990-2001: Very likely to receive credits, especially if roof has been replaced since 2002
- 1980-1989: Likely to receive credits, especially if roof has been replaced since 2002
- 1970-1979: Not likely to receive credits but possible if roof has been replaced since 2002
- Older than 1970: Unlikely to receive credits
- Flat roof (any age): Unlikely to receive credits
Find out more information regarding if you would qualify for wind mitigation discounts by talking to YOUR insurance agent. And if you are wanting to know which inspectors in the Gainesville area can offer a wind mitigation inspection, please visit our Home Inspector List in the Service Provider Section of our website!